At Parkstone we aim to provide an inspiring broad and balanced curriculum that well prepares our able students for the next steps in their lives.
Our curriculum is underpinned by our high expectations of academic success as well as our values of courage, commitment and compassion.
- lively, enquiring minds so that students are prepared to ask questions, consider evidence, reason and make informed judgements without prejudice
- the emotional intelligence of our students
- students’ literacy and numeracy skills
- imaginative self-expression, creativity, scientific and technological awareness.
- prepare students for a fulfilling adult life in a rapidly changing society
- support students in their spiritual, moral, social and cultural development as well as their understanding of British values
- nurture an interest in the life-long pursuit of learning
- enable students to extend their learning through extra-curricular activities
- enable students to reach their personal goals
- help students feel safe and adopt a healthy lifestyle.
Key Stage 3 – Years 7 and 8
- Students follow a curriculum of:
- English, maths, science, physical education, religious and moral philosophy, history, geography, technology (textiles, graphic products and food), languages (French, Spanish and German)art, drama, music, computing, learn to learn and PSHE (personal, social and health education)
- Students are taught in tutor groups for all subjects except Technology where group size is smaller.
Key Stage 4 – Years 9, 10 and 11
- Students take their key stage options choices at the end of year 8 and follow a GCSE foundation course in year 9 allowing for a smooth transition to GCSE level study.
- All students follow a core examined curriculum of:
- English language and literature, maths, biology, chemistry and physics
- All students follow a core non-examined curriculum of:
- Religious and moral philosophy, physical education, PSHE (personal, social and health education) and personalised learning
- Students select 4 of the following subjects:
- History, geography, religious and moral philosophy, French, German, Spanish, design technology, food nutrition, art, music, drama, computing, physical education, business studies, economics and astronomy
Students are advised to take at least one modern foreign language and either history or geography. We do not, however, make this combination of options compulsory recognizing the different needs and destinations of our students
Key Stage 5 – Years 12 and 13
- Students select 4 subjects to study at A Level. Almost all will narrow to three subjects in the second year.
- Students can choose from the following subjects:
- English language, English literature, maths, further maths, biology, chemistry, physics, geology, history, geography, religious studies, music, French, German, Spanish, psychology, sociology, business studies, economics, art, textiles, graphics, food technology, theatre, media, computing, government and politics, physical education,
- In addition the 16-19 study programme includes:
- PSHE (personal, social and health education)
- Tutorial programme
- Physical Education
- The opportunity to complete meaningful work experience and / or volunteering
- Extended project qualification
- Enrichment carousel
- Lecture series