RELATIONSHIPS AND BEHAVIOUR
Consideration and politeness to all
- We do not condone bad language at any time towards anyone in the school.
- Bullying will not be tolerated – there is a copy of the Anti Bullying Code in all classrooms.
Dress according to the Uniform Rules/Dress Code
- Keep to the Uniform Rules/Dress Code throughout the day.
- Main school students should arrive and leave school in correct school uniform.
Approved use only of mobile phones and personal music players
- Phones and personal music players are brought in at your own risk and should not be used in corridors. Mobile phones should only be used in tutor rooms/Sixth Form Common Room at lunch and breaktime. Personal music players should only be used in lessons if your teacher agrees.
- Flouting of this rule will result in confiscation.
Approved items only brought into school
- You must not bring alcohol, cigarettes, drugs or sharp objects such as knives or illegal weapons into school. Breaking this rule is a serious offence and will be dealt with by the Leadership Group and possibly the Police.
- We do not allow chewing gum in school.
Teaching and learning are central to what we do at Parkstone. It is important that we are all
allowed to do this easily and comfortably. If you persistently prevent others from learning you
may be asked to leave the lesson, report to the Head of Department or to attend an after school
detention. Your parents will be contacted if necessary.
Appropriate Listening and Talking
- Silence during the taking of the register.
- Listen carefully and follow instructions from your teacher.
- Listen and contribute considerately to class discussions.
- Meet all deadlines set for homeworks, coursework and parental reply slips.
- Speak to your teacher before the set deadline if you have a problem.
- Bring everything you need, including planners, to all lessons.
- You will not be allowed to interrupt a lesson because you have forgotten something.
- If you have to leave the room remember to ask for a permission slip.
- If you feel unwell you must report this to your teacher who will then ask you, if necessary, to go to Reception where you may be placed in the MI Room.
- Arrive promptly to all lessons, including registration at 8.25am and 2.10pm.
- If you arrive in school after 8.35am you must sign the late list at Reception.
- Students who arrive before 8.00 a.m. should stay in the dining room/small hall.
- If you know in advance that you are going to be absent, you must give your tutor a letter in advance.
- For unplanned absences e.g. illness, parents are requested to phone the school before 9.30am on the first day of absence. A letter must be sent to the Form Tutor on your return.
- Requests to be absent from school for family holidays should be made using the Poole Borough holiday form which is available from the School Receptionist. Completed forms are passed to the Headteacher for approval.
Challenge yourself fully
- Sit where instructed or where you know you will not be distracted in lessons.
- Do all homework set – keep a record in your planner.
- Ask for help if you need it.
A safe and healthy environment helps us all to learn effectively. If your actions spoil our environment you will have to take part in Community Service such as clearing the canteen after lunch, litter picking, recycling, cleaning damaged areas, sorting and returning lost property. If necessary your parents will be contacted by phone or letter to let them know that you have not respected our environment.
Safe and considerate movement around the school
- All main school students must remain on site all day.
- When moving around the school, keep to the left and show consideration for others.
- Don’t run.
- Hold doors open for others.
- Keep to the one way systems.
- Keep to the paths to respect our green environment.
- Use a small school bag to carry equipment around school between lessons to avoid accidents.
- If you have to stay in school after 3.15 p.m. you must wait either in the small hall/dining room or work in IT1/IT2. Anywhere else is out of bounds unless you have a teacher with you.
- Keep to the permitted areas of the school. The following areas are out of bounds :
- Areas where sporting activities are in progress.
- All areas adjacent to the perimeter fence.
- The car parks.
- Any area where building work may be in progress.
Clean and tidy working environment
- No graffiti.
- Leave lockers clean and empty at the end of term.
- Keep your possessions in your locker, not on top of lockers or shelves.
- Put litter in the appropriate bins to help with recycling.
- Don’t sit on tables and lockers.
- Clear up at the end of break and lunch to leave a pleasant room for the next period.
Appropriate care of equipment and displays
- Save energy by switching off equipment where helpful at the end of the day.
- Only use ICT equipment with your teacher’s permission.
- Respect the work of others; don’t damage or remove display items.
- Ask your teacher if you need to open or close a window blind.
- If there is a problem with any room, report it to reception as soon as you can.
Food and Eating Arrangements
- Only eat in designated rooms or in the canteen.
- You may not take food or drink near computers – if necessary take your food to another room where eating is allowed.
- No food should be eaten whilst walking around the school.
- Food taken from the canteen should be properly wrapped while being carried to a form room and hot drinks should have a lid.
- At the end of break and lunch clean up any spilt food and put litter in the appropriate bin.